Sunday, July 26, 2009

pablo neruda- If u forget me.

the lines "Well, now,
if little by little you stop loving me
I shall stop loving you little by little.

If suddenly
you forget me
do not look for me,
for I shall already have forgotten you."

What is it in the human psyche that allows him to hold a place so high for ego? Why is it that human emotions allow room for such a vile feeling? love so pure can be diminished with such ease. Neruda claims that if he is loved less, he too will love less. Is this natural or is it being selfish. Is it hormonal to love less when one receives less attention. if one feels that things arent the same will they fight or surrender? if they will surrender then the world wont know true love. love is supposed to be the hardest fight of all, if it could be so shallow that it needs constant pushing,then is it truly love? Our judgment is so clouded by emotion that we have lost our ability to love unconditionally. Our ego has gotten so large that love is no longer that free string-less feeling it once was. Emotion not only clouds reason, but also our actions when it comes to love. Neruda's poem not only teaches me about love but it also teaches about ego. What touches me about this poem is the fact that with such simple words Neruda is able to make me think and feel so guilty for being a human because fact is that we all have ego, and it probably will come in our way before love. My friend once told me that no matter how much you care for a person ego wont let you forgive and forget a betrayal. no matter what the person has done for you, at the end of the day especially for a person with confidence like me will not be able to love the same. If a person leaves me and moves on, i wont wait for them. Truth is very few might, and even if they do, nothing will stay the same. We Percieve things as different and no matter what we do, we wont love the same again. Neruda uses language with such simplicity. He manages to sway the emotions of the readers and make us realize that our emotions are so open to swaying and how our actions can so easily be altered by emotional distress. Humans hold a position too high for ego, and that is why most will not even agree to the fact that this is the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment